Today’s post was written by Keith Carvalho, vice president of sales for Vitalyst.
For more than 125 years, Southern California Edison (SCE) has delivered electricity to 14 million Californians in homes, businesses and communities in Southern and Central California. Although SCE is one of the nation’s top 20 electric utilities and is among the leaders in its percentage of sustained renewable resources (over 19.9 percent in 2012), SCE was the last large electric public utility to use Lotus Notes.
With the aim of becoming a more modern public utility with enhanced internal capabilities and increasing productivity, SCE engaged in a partnership with Vitalyst and Microsoft Services to migrate its enterprise platform from Lotus Notes to Office 365. Organization Change Management (OCM) was identified as the most significant success factor, while the key business drivers were:
- Synchronizing and modernizing the desktop office experience
- Reducing investment and operational costs
- Supporting the company’s long-term mobile technology strategy
- Integrating workforce productivity tools for access anywhere, anytime and on any device
The Office 365 enterprise migration project scope involved:
- Moving 16,500 individual user accounts
- Integrating 1,500 shared programs or collaboration mailboxes
- Migrating 1,500 document libraries to SharePoint sites
- Migrating the enterprise SharePoint portal from 2010 to 2013
- Implementing Office 2013 from Office 2010 and incorporating OneDrive
- Moving from Internet Explorer 8 to Internet Explorer 10
- Adopting Yammer, Microsoft’s social collaboration tool
The Vitalyst solution
Recognized as having a user community that was “high-touch” in comparison to other organizations, SCE needed to leverage Vitalyst’s unique capabilities and experience in maximizing end-user readiness and OCM. Together with SCE and Microsoft, Vitalyst launched a 600-person network of business transition managers with the goal of training the trainers and developing the appropriate internal knowledge necessary to facilitate change throughout the organization.
Vitalyst collaborated with SCE to create customized educational materials, which were posted on the enterprise portal designed to share critical information and training on Office 365. This included, onsite training, webinar training and Just-in-Time training or live support that provided 24/7 access to consultants for answers to how-to questions.
For the migration initiative, Vitalyst provided:
- High visibility, turn-key solution
- Full spectrum of learning resources, giving users just the right resource at just the right time
- Expanded utilization of productivity enhancements within Office 365
- Program utilization data providing window into SCE operations and IT training needs
- Program content customized by job role/user type
SCE effectively integrated Vitalyst’s live support services into its IT Call Center for Office 365. For example, by pressing a designated number, callers can indicate whether they have a problem or whether they have a how-to question about Office 365. Those who select “How-to” are linked directly to the Vitalyst live support network. By driving calls from its Tier One services to a customized live support service, SCE realized:
- Elevated user experience and extended internal capabilities, including:
- An avenue for SCE to assume a consulting role, helping users better utilize software apps
- High customer satisfaction and experience working directly with SCE’s workforce
- The ability to stay ahead of the latest Microsoft functionality releases
- Increased internal resources and operations efficiency, including:
- Expanded IT capabilities by offering expanded how-to support functions
- A best practice approach to support
- Guaranteed training and education content consistency throughout the enterprise
Realizing the value of Vitalyst service
Vitalyst’s service complements and adds capacity to the IT service desk. According to SCE IT leaders, customer feedback was overwhelmingly positive. Thirty-five percent of key users called in for support. Top user communities included administrative and executive assistants.
The service yielded strong service metrics and an end-user satisfaction rating of 9.3 out of 10.0. In addition, Vitalyst service has helped improve perceptions of the IT organization through delivery of a 7.3 second response time, 96.1 percent first call resolution rate and expert product knowledge.
SCE employees have reported that the service provides tips and techniques that help save time and increase productivity levels, resulting in an estimated $1.1 million in productivity, and higher ROI on end-user technologies (average 10 percent).
- Nearly 10,000 support calls
- 24,000 how-to solutions
- Averaged 2.4 solutions per call for more than 39 different applications
- 5,000 unique callers out of 16,000+ migrated
- Approximately 5,500 videos viewed via the self-help video portal
As a result of its Office 365 initiative, SCE documented lessons learned in seven key categories, which included OCM and Operational Readiness—both supported through the Vitalyst partnership and training. SCE’s IT Call Center realized tremendous value in Vitalyst’s live support network and the integration of a system that solely handles the Just-in-Time” learning component. The program garnered overwhelmingly positive feedback from the client community and significant business value from an adoption perspective, ultimately leading SCE to extend the program out to its operations division.
In addition, SCE’s Office 365 migration program success has been presented as a best practice example to the UNITE CIO Symposium—an industry Benchmarking Consortium. SCE’s ability to move future investments from IT to other capital investments aimed at making SCE a more modern public utility is a paradigm shift that has potential to translate to other industries and Fortune 500 companies.
The post Increasing user satisfaction, adoption, production and ROI appeared first on Office Blogs.
Source: Office Blog